Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Am I The Only One?

It's no secret that JVW is a big sports fan. And it should be shouted from the rooftops that I am (usually) a very good wife and will watch said sporting events with him.

However, my eyes tend to see things a little differently. I don't catch all the big key plays; I can NEVER see the puck no matter how slow it's going; I don't know why some players get to shoot 2 free throws and some get 3; I rarely care if/why the yellow flag was thrown; I can never tell if the ump calls a ball or a strike. Instead, I notice people and details - i.e. crazy fans in the crowd, players with exceptional rear ends, etc.

But when watching the Detroit Tigers, I can't help but notice that the "D" on the jersey is totally different from the "D" on the hats. Does anyone else see this? Am I crazy? It drives me absolutely bonkers!

Exhibit A:



Exhibit B:


And for a side-by-side comparison (jersey on L, hat on R):

I have to believe the MLB authorities have a very good, sane reason for this. Anyone know what that reason might be?

4 comments:

Liz said...

This has been bothering me for the past 2 years! I HATE it! I bet 99% of the people that watch the Tigers have no idea, but I am glad to know that I am not alone in noticing this! :)

Kelli said...

OH my gosh I would have never noticed :) LOL... And it's 2 or 1 free throws. Did Rosalind's husband teach you NOTHING??? LOL. :)

Unknown said...

Dearest sisters - DID I NOT TEACH YOU ANYTHING? It is actually 1, 2, or 3 foul shots.

1 shot- when the player is fouled during the act of shooting they actually make their shot.

They can also get a 1 and 1 foul shot. This happens when the other team is over the foul limit. The player that is fouled (not shooting) get the chance to shoot the first shot and if made get to shoot again.

2 shots- when a player is shooting and they get fouled. They do not make the shot.

3 shots- when a player is fouled while attempting a 3 pointer.

You girls will be the death of me :) Without me David and Joe would be so lost! :) They owe me big!

The Husband said...
This comment has been removed by the author.