Sunday, May 24, 2009

I Considered It.

...but only briefly, I assure you.

What was it I was considering, you ask?

Duct taping my son.

Before you go judging me, allow me to set the stage: Joe, Alex and I were alone at my sister's apartment from 6 pm - 2:15 am last night/this morning. The reason for this I will explain in a later post. Anyway, I packed Alex accordingly for the trip: diapers, wipes, Desitin, extra outfits, bottles, formula, pacifier and blankets.

The blankets is where I went horribly wrong. You see, Mister Alex loooooves to be swaddled tighter than Joe's grasp on the remote during playoff hockey. Another post idea: the brilliance of the SwaddleMe blankets. And if he's swaddled appropriately (so his arms can't get loose) he won't wake himself up by batting himself in the eye and can usually sleep for 3-4 hour stretches.

Dreadfully, I only packed blankets and not the SwaddleMe. And the blankets I brought were CRAP for swaddling. I all but tore Kelli's apartment apart for safety pins to hold it together, but no luck. Seriously, Kel, where do you keep those?

Then, in one golden closet I found a roll of Duct tape. It seemed so simple - just swaddle him with the crap blanket and then secure it with a bit of Duct tape. Maybe even wrap it around him a few times to ensure snugness.

It was 1:30 a.m. I had been up for hours. Exhaustion had weakened my sound decision making skills. I grabbed the roll, walked to the couch where the little man was squirming and fighting sleep with all his might and made the better decision: do not Duct tape your child.

He didn't sleep. I didn't sleep. But social services will not be at my door today. :)

5 comments:

Brooke said...

Been there, done that.....never again did I forget the SwaddleMe. Love, love, love that product, and swear by swaddling. My children are swaddled until they are old enough to un-velcro that blanket themselves, and they sleep like rocks because of it :)

Keep swaddling, Kristi!

The Brewer Babies! said...

Desperate times call for desperate measures!!! I know the feeling!! Great idea, never would have thought of it.

Katherine said...

Safety Pins are sharp, I think duct tape would have been a good option. :)

Holly, Olivia and Caroline said...

You should try The Miracle Blanket - it's even better than SwaddleMe. I SWEAR by them! You can check it out at miracleblanket.com!

Kelli said...

So so funny. PS, the safety pins are in the tupperware in the laundry room. But now they're in a box :)