Friday, May 24, 2013

For my next trick...

Like most (all?) women, I have a love affair with purses. And shoes, but that's a story for another day. Today, we're talking purses.

I have my fair share of Vera Bradley prints, 1154 Lill creations, Target finds and Marshalls gems--and I like to switch it up often. Lately, I've been eyeing some handmade options on various etsy shops and other boutiques for a really different summer option...and then I stumbled across Better Life Bags.

The funny thing is, it's practically in my own backyard--HQed out of Hamtramck (pronounced Ham-tram-ick), Michigan. But the BETTER (get it?) thing is that Rebecca's business is built on something greater: a platform to help others.

From her website:

Since Better Life Bags started, I had been giving a percentage of the profits to low income entrepreneurs in developing countries through Kiva.org. I still plan on doing this in moderation. However, I also want to invest in the community God has placed us in currently. We moved to Detroit in April 2010 to invest in a small community here called Hamtramck. With 27 different languages spoken, a median income of $23,000, and housing values falling by 80% there is much need here.
We hire women who otherwise could not work to work for us. We pay them a living wage and watch them gain dignity, honor, and respect. Watch our video here. We also give 10% of our monthly GROSS income to low income entrepreneurs in developing countries through Kiva.org.
What makes this whole thing even BETTER is that her bags are beautiful - and totally custom - with leather (durable!) options. I'm rather loving the Beverly and the Molly.

I'd really love to stay and chat, but I've got a new bag to design. Have a great long weekend, loves!

No comments: