Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Where To Begin?

Ohhhh what a morning it's been. I suppose I will tell the tale from the very beginning, because that's what Julie Andrews would have me do. Buckle in kids, it's gonna be a long one.

Our morning began at about 6:45, when I woke in a frantic flurry because I had overslept the alarm and needed to be at work for a 7:30 meeting. We had worked it out the night before that Joe would drop Alex at daycare and I would pick him up at the end of the day.

As I was tornadoing around the house getting ready, Joe was being a dear and getting Alex ready for his day. You know - food, clothing and all that jazz. About the time I was applying my mascara, Joe hollered that he needed help because Alex was throwing up his bottle.

Lordhavemercy. My child was literally spewing 6 oz. of formula exorcist-style out of his lips. I've never seen anything like it.

After a quick check for fever (none) and realizing he was in very good spirts (still giggling at his 'toons and smiling like a fool), we decided he must've just had an upset tummy and carried on about our business. Five minutes later, I grabbed my cell phone, coat and computer and was out the door.

Cue the cameras to me walking into work and finally looking at my phone, only to find 2 missed calls and a text message from our daycare provider telling me she had the stomach flu and could not watch the kids today.


In a tizzy, I called Joe EIGHT times, left 2 messages and sent 2 texts, hoping he would see them before he bundled Alex up and shipped him off to Daycare. Meanwhile, I went up to my desk and alerted my boss of the situation at hand. He was relatively cool about it and told me to just call into my morning meetings. And so I did - Supermom hops back in her car, managing meetings and life from the road.

Imagine my surprise upon pulling into the driveway and Joe's Jeep is nowhere in sight. Seriously? Did he not look at his phone? Uhhhm, as I very obviously demonstrated not 15 minutes earlier, this is very possible.

I put my meeting on muted speaker and sent Joe a text message: "Where are you?" I get back: "Headed to Daycare." I say, "Jane's sick. Come home. I'm here."

Fast forward 2 minutes to Joe calling me 3 times in a row. I'm still on my conference call, so I text him back, "In meeting. Can't talk." And I get back, "911."


I'll spare you the details moving forward, (mostly because reliving my morning is elevating my blood pressure) but to summarize, Joe got into a car accident as he was turning around to come back home. He and Alex are both fine, but the Jeep has seen better days.

I can't help but think that ALL of this could have been avoided if I just would have stupid looked at my stupid phone before I stupid left for stupid work. You can bet your sweet arse I won't be making that mistake again.

Oh, and Alex? Still spewing. My Momma's coming to nurse him back to health tonight and watch him tomorrow. Thank jebus for her.


aapuzzanchera said...

What a day!! Hope your little man feels better soon! Glad all are ok after the accident. Hope tomorrow is better.

Kids, Canines, and Chaos said...

Oh my goodness! What a day you've had. Like aapuzzanchera said, glad to hear both of your boys are okay after the accident. I'm sure your blood pressure is still higher than a kite. Sending happy thoughts your way! Here's to a better day tomorrow!

Jackie D. said...

Why did you even come into work? What a day! I'm so sorry :(
I am glad everyone is OK. The baby spewing is scary. I'll never forget the time Leighton did it. It was coming out her nose and everything. Very scary, for me. Leighton on the other hand was fine :)

Brooke said...

Ohhh, Kristi, I feel for you. What a day!!! Don't beat yourself up though. It happens to best of us, and you've got a lot on your plate!!! You are an awesome Mom who does it all!!

So Thankful that your boys are safe and sound!!! Rest well tonight!

Shanni ♥ said...

WOW!! Now that is some kind of a headache forsure!

SO glad to hear both boys are okay! Praise the Lord for that!