Sunday, February 21, 2010

A Rare Sunday Post.

We interrupt what is typically a blog-free weekend to give you this little gift: A RECIPE.

Yes, yes...I know. We're all shocked. Amazed. Whatever. Pick your jaws up off the floor and read what I'm about to tell you. Then make it, eat it, and thank me.

Caramel Popcorn and Peanuts
courtesy of my favorite magazine/birthday present subscription from K&J, All*You

You'll need:
1 tsp. veggie oil
1/4 cup unpopped poppingcorn
1 cup salted peanuts (the snack, not the comic strip)
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 cups sugar (though, to be more waist-friendly, I used 1 cup baking Splenda and 1/2 cup sugar)
2 Tbsp. light corn syrup
2 Tbsp. butter (again, I used the Brummel & Brown to be a bit less naughty)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. salt (I used closer to 2, as I love me some salt)
1 Tbsp. Lawry's seasoning salt (not in the original recipe; my personal addition for a savory kick in the arse)

1) Line a baking sheet with wax paper.Warm oil in a large pot over high heat. Add popcorn, cover and shake-shake-shake your moneymaker pot until all kernels have popped. Transfer popcorn to a larger bowl, add peanuts and set aside. Note: if you are awesome like the VWs and have your own poppingcorn machine, just avoid the process above and pop le corn per usual.

2) In a medium pot (meh meh meh), combine water, sugar (or combo of Splenda/sugar) and corn syrup. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook without stirring until mixture turns a light amber color, 4 to 6 minutes. Note: if using Splenda, you probably won't get the amber color. Try not to freak...just trust the 5ish minutes of cook time.

3) Remove pot (meh meh meh) from heat and stir in butter, vanilla and salt (and Lawry's if you so choose). Stir the caramel into the popcorn/peanut mixture to completely coat. Scrape the deliciousness onto the wax paper and let cool for 15 minutes before devouring. Or, do what we did and eat it warm. We don't judge.

Domestic goddess, what?!? I mean, really...who makes homemade caramel poppingcorn? This girl, thankyouverymuch. What's more, this DEEEELISHish snack is a mere 38¢ per serving. Now that's a snack that is speakin' my language.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Abby said...

I made this last night - tasty! I used real sugar, and I didn't get the amber color even after boiling for 8 minutes, so I just moved on. Didn't taste QUITE like caramel corn should, but it was still delish.