Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Gettin' real up in here.

Here's where y'all buckle in for a hefty dose of reality from yours truly.

Today I was treated very poorly in le office environment. By a man. By a relatively high-powered man. I'm not sure if it's because of his perception that I'm young, or that I'm a woman, or something else entirely...but he was a dick. There's really no nice way to word it. An arrogant, asshat of a dick. It's safe to say I'm not the VP of his fan club.

I was careful to chose my words and my actions wisely. I remained knowledgeable, professional, and most importantly, outwardly unfazed by his demeaning words and actions. On the inside, I was three seconds from running out the door. But true to my self-respect and generally mild-mannered business demeanor, I did my job. And I did it well.

I'd like to think that we've come pretty far as a human race, but it's moments like these that remind me of how far we have to go.

So today's advice is simply to be nice to people. To the cashier at the supermarket. To the stranger in the elevator. To your husband. To your wife. To me! You'd be surprised how cinchy it is to be kind to others.

And for the record? Karma is a bitch.

No comments: