Monday, June 20, 2011

Potty talk.

Methinks it's that time...

Alex has been repeatedly asking to go "poo poo on the potty." And the one time I actually buckled down and took him seriously, he had already gone in his diaper. (Bad Mom.)

I figure since he's asking, I should take advantage and do something about it. But I'm completely out of my element, here. Bottles, cereal, diapers, baths, swimming, bugs...all of these things I can do. But bodily fluids of the pee and poo form and me aren'tsomuch bffs. (Remind me to tell you the one about Alex vomming down my shirt at a local Chili's.)

I digress. I need to make a potty purchase, and I need some guidance. What works best? Those little mini-seat rings that you put over the real toilet? The little mini-potties? A hole in the backyard?

And also, where do I buy a hazmat suit?

6 comments:

Lindsey Wolfe said...

Rather than retype it all here are the 4 posts on I wrote on potty training Logan... the 4th probably has the most insight as it is my wrap up and the others are more reports on progress:

http://atlast6206.blogspot.com/2011/01/potty-training-day-1.html

http://atlast6206.blogspot.com/2011/01/potty-training-day-two.html

http://atlast6206.blogspot.com/2011/02/potty-traning-days-3-and-4-and-snow-day.html

http://atlast6206.blogspot.com/2011/02/potty-traning-wrap-up.html

HAVE FUN!!!

Katy said...

Mom Sundling says all of the above! Each one worked for each of us, none of us were the same. Also, a stool to help the kid get on the toilet!

Dawn said...

Three words: 3 Day Potty Training. Download the book online. It's rough and tough and a lot of work, but at the end of 3 days but seriously, after 3 days our daughter never looked back. For us at least, anything she could do by herself was the best bet, so we started with a potty chair, then moved to a step-up potty seat and then the real thing. Good luck! It's the final step away from baby-hood, but a diaper free house is awesome ;)

Emily said...

Do what works for your family - I read the books - and decided being a toilet Nazi wasn't going to work for us...but, it may for you...

I will say - The Baby Bjorn Toilet Trainer - is a dream for little boys - no pee squirting up and out (for sitting down peeing)... and it's pretty durable!

You go, little Alex...

Brooke said...

Yup, fun times! Brady is close to being ready too and I am Sooo over diapers at this point. We have the baby bjorn potty seat too and love it! Easy to clean!!

Stefanie Shephard said...

we had really good luck with small cushy seat that you put on the potty. but we also bought the actual potty chair that can double as a step stool to get on the potty. also i found it very useful to have the folding portable potty seat ( can be found at walmart and target) Bennett was afraid of his undies at first so we did the pull up thing just depends on what you prefer. also if you are a pampers gift to grow member, you can redeem your points for a diego potty seat .