Thursday, May 22, 2014

On the expression of emotions.

As I've mentioned before, 5 has been quite the ride. Alex is so much fun at this age--like an adult in mini-sized packaging. I can't tell you how many times I have those "don'tlaughdon'tlaughdon'tlaugh" Mom moments when he retorts something back at me that's SO funny, but as a parent it's just something I can't set the precedent of laughing at.

He's also been REALLY into writing lately, which I love. As you might recall, we put a whiteboard in his new bedroom and he loves to doodle on it and leave everyone notes and "signs." At least once a day he'll peer over the railing of the steps and holler down to Joe or me, "How do you spell ______?" I love his love of learning and expression and hope it continues!

A few Sundays ago, he was NOT into taking his nap, but we still made him have quiet time and rest in his room. He wanted us to know he was NOT happy about it, and left us this:



It made my day. Not because he was upset or sad, but because he was able to express himself and his emotions so clearly.

Later that day, he told me he was feeling happy again and asked me to come into his room for a surprise.


Oh how my heart soared. He didn't even ask me how to spell any of the words. I'm so, so, so proud of my boy. And it was mutual--he just beamed with pride when he opened the door to his room and said "See Mom? I wrote that I love you and Dad because I'm not sad anymore." And the teeth on the face? I can't.

No comments: