Thursday, November 14, 2013

Teaching an old dog.

With baby #2 (and I can only assume all babies thereafter), you find your stride much earlier. There's no panicked "How do I do this?" or "What should I do when...?" moments. For the most part, you're more confident in your actions and if you're not sure or don't remember, you just fake it with confidence because, hey, you've been there, done that and at the end of the day the child is being fed, loved and changed...so chalk one up to the winning at motherhood column.

However, I have had my fair share of "What the hell do you mean?!?" moments in the last month or so. In just the short 4 years since Alex has been born, it seems like SO much has changed. Items I used (and SWORE by) with Alex have since been recalled, carseat laws have changed and immunization schedules have been altered. I simply have not kept up with the times.

Therefore, there are a few things I'd like to bestow upon you all...hopefully, to save some of you the trouble of learning it (or re-learning it) all over again.

  1. Breast pumps are 100% covered under ALL insurances. It doesn't matter what kind of insurance you have, a breast pump will be covered. It was a law passed in 2012 under the Affordable Care Act. Even if you have one from a previous child, you can (and should!) get a new one. Just have your OB write you a prescription and fill it at a medical supply store (all hospitals have these, too!).
  2. Speaking of breast pumps, these now exist. Your nurses can get you a stash before you leave the hospital (ask them to be generous...you're paying for it, anyway!). Your nipples can thank me later.
  3. When in the hospital, ask for a binder. It's kind of the same concept as the Belly Bandit, but, you know, FREE. And wow...they are FAB. Mine was ordered in the hospital by one of the nurse assistants (without my asking for it), and I actually wrote her a thank you card and sent her a Starbucks gift card as a small demonstration of my eternal gratitude. It has helped so much with support from the C-Section and I honestly believe it's even helped in getting my figure back quicker. 
I'm quite sure there's more, but I've already forgotten more than I know. 

No comments: